Kanyakumari is located at
the southern tip of the Indian subcontinent. The small temple dedicated
to Kanyakumari, or the youthful form of the primeval energy Shakti (Mother
Goddess) is located on the seashore, in the town known by the same name.
Kanyakumari was referred to by the British as Cape Commorin.
Surrounded by Majestic Hills
and the plains bordered by colourful sea-shores, fringed with coconut
trees and paddy fields, here and there are few elevated patches of red
cliffs with undulating valleys and plains between the mountainous terrain
and the sea - coast, so closely interwoven with Temples and Churches
and other edifices lies the district, 'Kanyakumari'. ( The district name
is spelled as ' Kanniyakumari ' in official records which is in tune
with the spoken name of the district in Tamil language) . With an area
of 1672 sq.km. it occupies 1.29% of the total extent of Tamil Nadu. It
ranks first in literacy among other districts in Tamil Nadu.