Viluppuram is the district headquarters of the Viluppuram District,
which was bifuricated from the erstwhiele composite Sourt Arcot District
from 30th September, 1993. It is the Second largest District in the
State which lies in the middle of the Tiruchirapalli to Chennai National
Highways No. 45. It is well connected by the rail road and it is major
junction. From here one can go to any corner of the Tamil Nadu as well
as to other part of India. This district is having variety of tourist
spots which are more than 100 years old. The district has temples,
masques and churches which are very old and famous. We are welcoming
you to visit our district tourist places.
Nestled on three hills, and enclosed by a huge rampart
60 feet thick, stands the majestic GINGEE Fort, in the Villuppuram
district, which is located on the Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai
road about 25 kms from Thindivanam and 130 kms from Chidambaram.
The indomitable courage and valour of its erstwhile rulers, caused
Father pimenta, a Jesuit priest to call the GINGEE Fort the Troy
of the East Besieged by the Mughals and battered by the British,
the fort still stands at 800ft. in height, guarded by a moat, eighty
feet wide. Much of the early history of this 800Year old fort is
shrouded in mystery,as the fort seems to have changed many hands
times before it was annexed to the Vijayanagar empire.
Gingee is known as GINGEE in Tamil. The small town of GINGEE was
once a capital city, With its province extending from Nellore in
the north to the Coleroon (Kollidam) in the south. According to local
legend, GINGEE Amman, was one of the seven virgins who were the guardian
deities of the Village. Legend has it that at around 1200 A. D. ,
GINGEE was fortified by Ananda Kone, chief of the local shepherd
community. In 1240 A. D. Krishna Kone . His successor is said to
have fortified the northern hill which later came to be known as
krishnagiri.The kone dynasty gave way to the kurumbars, who established
their headquarters at Sendamangalam,which later came under the powerful
Chola empire. Recorded history goes back to the 16th century, when
Gingee (GINGEE) became the seat of the Nayaka rulers, who were under
the lordship of the expanding Vijayanagar empire. Krishnadevaraya
appointed Krishnappa Nayaka, and he was considered the founder of
the Nayaka line of Gingee.
Most of the structures, fortification walls and temples were built
during this period. The fortifications and defenses were further
strengthened under chatrapati shivaji, the great Maratha ruler, was
captured Gingee in 1677 A. D. Gingee came under the hegemony of the
Moghul emperor Aurangazeb in 1691 A. D., and sarup singh was appointed
as the chief of Gingee by the emperor, under the control of the Nawab
Sarup Singhs son. Raja De singh, revolted against the Nawab of Arcot,
and was defeated and killed in the war that followed. Though Gingee
became a part of the Nawabs territory in 1714 A. D . the young and
courageous De Singh became a legend and his heroic deeds were sung
in the form of popular balads. Thus Gingee too became quite well
known. In 1750 A. D., Gingee came under the french rule and remained
so till it was surrendered to the British in 1761
GINGEE today, with its ruined forts, temples and granaries, presents
a different picture from the glorious splendor of its bygone days.
But the remains of that valorous past, speak volumes about the numerous
invasions, warfare and bravery that it witnessed. We invite you to
this land of the brave and mighty, to witness a glorious past that
still lives in the ruins of the GINGEE fort.
The forts are located on either side of the road to T. V. Malai
. They are open from 8.00 HRS. to 17.00 HRS. Any assistance can be
sought at the ASI office or the ticket counter
Fortification Walls : The massive fortification walls
of Gingee interconnect the three inaccessible hills-krishnaglri,
chakkilidrug and Rajagiri. The three hills are disposted in the form
of triangle, while the main wall connecting them is 20 meters thick.
The tops of the three hills form impregnable citadels, while the
inner fort contains many fortifications and gates. The Rajagiri citadel
is the highest, about 800 ft. in height, and the most inaccessible.
The 20 metres deep chasm is now connected by a bridge.
Kalyana Mahal: Built in the indo-Islamic style, the kalyana Mahal
is one of the most attractive ruins in the fort. It consists of a
square court, surrounded by rooms for the ladies of the Governors
household. In the middle of this court, is a 27 meter high square
tower, built of stone. The tower has a pyramidal roof. The rooms
in this tower are very similar to other Vijayanagar Nayaka buildings